What better way to mix the absolute best of summer – grilling a yummy piece of meat and preparing fresh crunchy vegetables – than in a salad? We’re back with yet another of Jillian Michael’s fabulously healthy and incredibly delicious recipes in this Grilled Sirloin Salad that has a spice rub that you’ll totally swoon over. This is the perfect lunch recipe or a light dinner with friends on the back patio, and it’s packed with so much protein that’ll it keep you going all day long.
There’s nothing out of the ordinary with this salad, so don’t fret over buying unique or expensive ingredients. What I love about Jillian’s recipes is that most of the ingredients are already in my kitchen and the end product is totally delicious!
You’ll need your favorite kind of mixed greens and some veggies along with a thin cut of sirloin steak. I went ahead and picked up a skirt steak which did fantastic.
First, heat up the grill or a grill pan on your stove and start assembling the spice rub for the steak. I learned this trick from Rachel Ray. Instead of using measuring spoons, just use the small cup of the palm of your hand. This equals about one tablespoon and it’s way faster than measuring.
Rub the spices over both sides of the steak, then toss it on the grill for about five minutes on each side or until it’s done to your taste.
In the meantime, chop and prep the rest of the salad.
When finely chopping things like parsley, cilantro, or basil, the best way is to gather the herbs into a tight ball in your fingertips then start chopping. Do it a few times and you’ll have a nice fine chop.
Toss all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl, including the red wine vinegar, olive oil, and lemon juice that will act as the dressing.
Then pull your meat off the grill and cut it up into small bite-sized slices and arrange the salad on serving plates.
Easy right?? You can even keep the spice rub mixed together in a jar and throw together this salad at any time. The red onion mixed with the sweet corn and the southwest-style spice rub make this a summer delight!
Grilled Sirloin Salad
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound lean boneless sirloin steak, trimmed 8 cups organic mixed salad greens or arugula
- 1 1⁄2 cups red bell pepper strips
- 1 cup vertically-sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 (8 3⁄4 ounce) can organic whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed
1. Combine the first six ingredients; rub over both sides of steak. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Add steak; cook on each side 5 minutes or until desired degrees of doneness. Cut the steak across grain into thin slices.
2. While steak cooks, combine salad greens and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; toss well to coat.